Carla Dauden recorded a convincing video explaining why Brazil should not host the 2014 FIFA World Cup. After examining the video, I decided to go out and walk around the neighborhood to talk with people about the World Cup.
The majority of the people answered that they agree with Ms. Dauden. I returned to see the video and was able to see the other point of view.
Brazil like many societies in the world loves sports including football. Unfortunately, one cannot enjoy an event if they are sacrificed [economically and in livelihood] for the sake of such an event.
This leaves with a solution for the 2014 FIFA World Cup besides cancelling it. It is not based on a political agenda but on the need for Plan B.
I propose that the USA host the 2014 World Cup if Brazil cannot or will not host it. The reasons are the following:
1. The USA has the infrastructure for hosting events such as the World Cup. The stadiums, hotels, and tourist venues are there for those to enjoy.
2. There is an interest in football from the people as evidenced in the FC Barcelona vs. Chivas of Guadalajara match of 2011. The match was celebrated at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Florida in the presence of more than 70,000 people.
3. The stadiums are full of police, plainclothes police, and security that will block any attempt at hooliganism, racism, and other crimes during a sporting event.
4. The money generated from these matches usually goes to the areas that need it. The Spain vs. Haiti match generated revenue which will help in the construction of a football stadium in the impoverished Caribbean nation. In other words, there is scrutiny.
5. A sense of poetic justice is needed since the USA came close to hosting the 2022 World Cup. The FIFA Committee awarded the 2022 World Cup to Qatar with the possible collaboration of Chuck Blazer [who was born and raised in the USA].
6. The USA is host to the famous Cascadia Cup for Cascadia [another name for Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia of Canada combined]. During this cup, the Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders, and Vancouver Whitecaps compete for the trophy. It is a tradition dating back to the 1970’s.
7. The World Cup will create jobs in America and may be the initiator of more opportunities in world football in America. While the people like it or not, football is growing in America and may arrive at the same level as basketball, baseball, and NFL Football.
I invite the readers of The Premier League Insider to watch the video made by Carla Dauden and make respectful comments. It is hoped that there is a solution concerning the World Cup and Brazil as soon as possible.
While Brazil should host the World Cup, it is important that Plan B exists.